What is REDCap?
REDCap stands for Research Electronic Data Capture. It is a secure, web-based application for building data entry forms and surveys. REDCap was created at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. It is licensed for free to academic institutions and hospitals across the world. CHEO's REDCap Instance is installed
locally and support by CHEO's Clinical Research Unit. The application is available the entire CHEO community at no cost.
What does REDCap provide?
- Functionality suited to a variety of project types (e.g. chart review, survey, cohort study, multi-site trial, etc.)
- Full audit trail
- Increased quality of data (response validation)
- Longitudinal project setup
- Seamless integration with statistical analysis projects
- Fine-grained user permissions and data access groups for multi-site studies
- Automatic survey invitations and reminders
- Built-in queries tracking workflow
- Automated daily back-ups performed by Information Services
- And so much more!
Who can use REDCap and for what kinds of projects?
- Research studies that have obtained approval from an institutional REB
- Databases to support administrative and operational activities where personal health information is not collected (e.g. registration form, lunch poll)
- De-identified databases to support quality assurance (QA) initiatives where QA is defined as the systematic monitoring and evaluation of the various aspects of a project, service, or facility to ensure that standards of quality are being met