- Dr. Lawson invited to co-lead a workshop on shared decision making at the 2014 North American Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Vancouver, BC. "A Competency-Based Approach to Delivering, Teaching, and Evaluating Shared Decision Making in Pediatrics"
- Family Decision Services is the first recipient of the "I am CHEONext Shout Out" award in recognition of “great leadership in CHEO’s Engaging Families objective through the launch of their comprehensive inventory of pediatric decision aids and support for families facing difficult health decisions"; this award is presented to individuals or groups who embody the values of CHEOnext (CHEO’s Strategic Plan) and help make CHEO’s vision a reality.
- Family Decision Services' A to Z Inventory of Pediatric Patient Decision Aids is launched, attracting national and local media attention. This valuable resource is the first comprehensive "electronic library" of tools designed to help families make difficult healthcare decisions for and with their child, pulling together pediatric decision aids from a huge number of sources on the web into one convenient place.
- Shared decision making and decision coaching skill building workshops provided to more than 100 CHEO staff as well as CHEO pediatric fellows and U of O surgical residents in the form of academic half days
- Decision coaching implemented in the CHEO Diabetes Program as part of standard care for all children/youth and families considering a change in their diabetes management (insulin) regimen
- Recruitment to the decision coaching intervention study is planned or underway pilot areas throughout CHEO, including Diabetes, Nephrology, Orthopedics, Palliative Care, the RSV Prophylaxis Program, Neonatology and at the Ottawa Children's Treatment Centre (OCTC)
- Poster presentations presented at the International Shared Decision Making conference in Lima, Peru and closer to home at meetings in Kingston, Toronto and Ottawa
- Educational presentations to increase awareness of SDM continued to be presented to multiple stakeholders throughout CHEO and in the community
- Dr. Lawson and the FDS team were pleased to act as consultants on a decision support / patient activation project, related to management of early appendicitis in children and youth, at Nationwide Children's Center, Columbus, OH
- Dr. Lawson invited to present to the Society of Clinical Research Associates (SoCRA) in Ottawa, ON (telecast to Ottawa, Kingston, London, and Toronto) on "The Role of Decision Aids in Clinical Research"
- Decision coaching pilot study completed within the Diabetes program
- Dr. Lawson invited to participate in a symposium on shared decision making at the 2012 North American Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, "Implementation of a Hospital-Wide Evidence-Based Program to Help Clinicians and Families Make Better Health Decisions"
- Dr. Lawson invited as consultant on PCORI Funded Study “Shared Medical Decision Making for Insulin Pump Initiation in Pediatrics”, Principal Investigator: Tim Wysocki PhD, Nemours Children’s Hospitals, Jacksonville, FL, 2012-2015
- CIHR Knowledge to Action Operating Grant (2012-2014) is awarded to co-prinicpal investigators, Margaret Lawson, MD, MSc, FRCP and Pat Elliott-Miller, RN, MScN, Implementation and Evaluation of a Hospital-wide Decision Support Program ($197,579)
- CHEO's Senior Management Team establishes Corporate Objective to develop treatment decision support tools in pilot areas within 3-5 years
- Dr. Lawson is co-Leader of Invited Workshop ("It Takes Three (or More) to Tango! Supporting Shared Decision Making among Multiple Stakeholders") at the International Shared Decision Making Conference, Maastricht, Netherlands
- Dr. Lawson is invited panelist on shared decision making at "The National Symposium - Embracing the Future – What Does It Really Ream to Us?", led by Dr. Brian Goldman (CBC Host of “White Coat, Black Art”), Annual Meeting of the Canadian Association of Paediatric Health Centres (CAPHC), Ottawa, ON
- Family Decision Services awarded Best Poster Presentation in the category of Family Centred Care at the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Association of Paediatric Health Centres (CAPHC), Ottawa, ON for poster entitled: “Family Perspectives of Involvement in Health Decision Making about their Child: A Survey Study”
- Dr. Lawson is co-Leader of Workshop " A Competency-Based Approach to Teaching and Evaluating Shared Decision Making in Pediatrics" at the 2010 North American Pediatric Academic Societies Annual Meeting, Vancouver, BC
- Dr. Lawson invited as reviewer/consultant on condition-specific pediatric decision aids under development by Nemours Children’s Hospitals, Jacksonville, FL, 2010-2012
- Lawson receives two year funding ($189,150) from the CHAMO/Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care Academic Health Sciences Centre Innovation Fund to develop and implement a hospital-wide pediatric decision support program.
- Dr. Lawson completes a one-year sabbatical with Dr. Annette O'Connor and the Ottawa Patient Decision Aids Research Group, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, on the Development of Patient Decision Aids for Pediatric Shared Decision Making.